How it works.
The following is a typical process for discussion purposes. Responsibilities by each party(eg local partner, hotel ,owner) are adjusted on a project by project basis according to purchasing contract.
To start the process I send following documents to the Client for initial discussions :
- Area configuration questionnaire (for Client to complete).
- OS& E Scope Document ( to be agreed with Client).
(II) Project brief
Client to send following information (if available) such as:
- Expected opening date.
- Owner’s budget (if possible at this stage).
- Hotel room layouts, design renderings and photos .
- Location of hotel.
- Local hotels in competition.
- Standard of hotel.
- Operator’s name and brand.
- Operating policies eg F&B, bedding.
- Examples of recent operators OS&E lists .
- Operator’s programs eg sleeping guide.
- Brand standards of operator.
- Items to be rented.
- Preferred/recommended suppliers list from operator.
(III) Time, Standards, Budgets, Lists & BOQs
Step 3 Time
- Prepare a plan with milestones ie schedule of time and tasks.
Step 4 Scope and OS&E Masterlists.
- Crosscheck OSE scope with other scope documents (if made available by Client before list finalised ) eg FF&E scope (including kitchen laundry and IT) , GC eg bathroom fittings, electrical contract , to identify possible double or nil counting eg room service trolleys, ice machines.
- Prepare a detailed preliminary OS&E Masterlists with quantities and generic specs .
- Alternatively review the Clients own OS&E lists in terms of scope, standards,suppliers,par coefficients, quantities and ensure operators brand /supplier requirements are met. I transfer the info to my OS&E Masterlist.
Step 5 Review
- Review the detailed OS&E Masterlist with Client and hotel operations. (through skype)
Step 6 BOQs
- I prepare the bills of quantities (BOQ).
Step 7 Suppliers
- Agree the shortlist of suppliers(normally already pre qualified) with Client and operator.
- Suggest potential cost savings using alternative suppliers.
Step 8 Standards and Samples
- Consult with local operations regarding preferred standards. Operations may use the Online Showcase to highlight their preferences ( My Project Wishlist).
- Prepare schedule of samples required by operator.
- Organise samples and brochures for preliminary Client review.
- Check colours and finishes with designer
(IV) Tender and analysis
Step 9 Tender
- Prepare the order schedule/priorites by batches. eg batch 1 longest lead time items like bed linen and banquet furniture.
- Tender to the suppliers agreed with Client/operator (equal and approved suppliers ) .
- Local procurement is by local partner.
(V) Samples and tabletop
Step 10 Product presentations
- Organise samples for the final presentations of equipment including the table top presentation, banquet furniture presentation, model room samples presentation, for operations.
- Final presentation coordinated by local partner
- Hotel coordinates the testing of quality eg laundering of bedding , towels and uniforms.
Step 11 Negotiations
- Ensure “devil in the detail” analysis of quotations.
- Negotiate terms and prices, to ensure value for money.
(VI) Purchase orders and delivery schedule
Step 12 Product Recommendations
- Once the best quote has been selected I upload online for the Client –the quote with purchase recommendation (PRs) or PR-TBF (to be finalised by local partner with Hotel) , terms and conditions including warranties.
Step 13 Terms and Orders
- The Client finalises terms between the Client and suppliers eg payment terms and delivery schedule.
- The Client places their purchase orders direct with suppliers according to the purchase recommendation from us(PR). The contract is between Client and the supplier.
Step 14 Payment
- Payment procedures implemented by Client eg advance payment (if agreed), L/C, bank guarantees, payment bonds etc.
Step 15 Tracking
- Track & progress orders.
Step 16 Preship inspections
- Coordinate the inspection of goods at factory and warehouse.
Step 17 Shipment
- Final payment made by Client (according to terms) to suppliers before shipment.
Step 18 Shipment
- When the shipment is ready the freight forwarder picks up the goods and transports to the hotel.
(VII) Receipt of goods and inventory
Step 19 Delivery
- The local partner monitor the logistics, tracking, deliveries and installation.
- I finalise the inventory .
Step 20 Installation
- Deliveries and installation coordinated by local partner, Client and hotel .